Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stop making people feel bad

I was thinking today about how Christian Science Nursing changed about 20 years ago. The old nursing structure was rigid and kind of the medical model with specific procedures and very little creativity. When the Mother Church let go of the training it opened nursing up to inspiration and creativity in people’s nursing expression. These new ideas led to new opportunities for nursing. Well some of the older institutions like the old way of doing things and believe nurses should be following the old model. And the old model has maintained a presence in the community.
But here’s the point I want to make: When I work at a nursing facility where I’m valued and appreciated for my inspiration and qualities that I bring to the work, I go home feeling on top of the world, like God has blessed me with this calling. When I work with a supervisor who’s looking over my shoulder and questioning and criticizing my unique methods, and not valuing my contribution, I go home feeling like I have no right to be thinking I should be a nurse. I’m a failure and I should quit now. I’m heartbroken.

When I think about someone growing up in our church or thinking about becoming part of our church, I can’t imagine how they would feel if we were treating them like the second kind of nurse treats me. Meaning we look to their procedures and behaviors more than their beautiful soul expression. I know people are leaving the church because we have made them feel like the most important thing is for them to obey the following policies: first and most important they don’t drink or smoke, second and nearly as important they read the bible lesson every day, third and slightly less important they don’t take any medicine for any reason. Each church may have other priorities, but we all know this is how you determine if someone is one of us.

If we would focus more on our own ability to love and embrace each person’s contribution as a child of God and less on their lifestyle choices we might be able to retain more of our young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment