Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Some ideas about what my church would look like...

So many of you have asked what my church would look like. Here is a very brief outline of some of my primary ideas. For me it incorporates the Soul and Love of the Christian with the practice and learning aspects of the Science.

1. If nothing else were different I would still insist on modern translations - I can't see it any other way. I've been a dedicated CS all my life, but I've always studied my lesson from modern translations, the Bible readings in Church are almost incoherant to me. I can barely follow the meaning of the message, and I'm a College graduate in Religion. (However this is a topic for another forum.)

2. Modern Music - Soulful, uplifting, inspiring. I can't say what it is, but when I hear it it moves me. (Also a topic for another Forum).

Some of the Bigger Changes:

3. Each week, someone would speak in their own words, either about a specific healing, or about how an idea from the lesson made a difference in their life. This would be prepared before hand, not spontaneous, this must be of the highest Spiritual quality. Think "Sentinel Radio".

4. I would love to have lectures every week on a topic related to the Bible lesson that week. It would be best if they could have a relationship with the board of lectureship and be qualified speakers. Maybe the same person each week, probably a variety of speakers. These can be very deep think, or simple reminders, but must again be of the highest quality. Think "Cedars weekly Mets".

5. Something that would bring people back week after week, I believe, would be breakout sessions of small group discussions about these ideas, with practitioners facilitating the groups. Not Sunday School, just sharing and discussing.

6. I think a church should have full-time paid workers so that they can commit their lives to bringing this Truth to their community. These people should be in the public practice. A few of these positions might be a full-time Music Director, Lecture Director (who would manage the speakers), Education/Youth Director, Marketing/Outreach Director.

7. Ideally, the church would be open daily with different small groups meeting throughout the week. Offering courses like : "Fearless Parenting", "Finding Love", "How do I go into the Practice," "Truly living the Sermon on the Mount", "How to understand the Vocabulary in Science and Health" etc..

8. The Reading Room should be well located in the Church so people don't have to make special trips for literature. There could also be a study room available, though that's not what the point of a Reading Room is. (Also a topic for another Forum).

9. A very active Sunday School. This seems to be working well enough the way it is right now in the best churches. I would just research and implement the best practices from around the world.

10. Modern technology would have to be involved because this is the 21st Century and it's how people live and think and learn. (I'd love to hear peoples' ideas on how to do this).

I would build this church tomorrow even though it might mean it couldn't be officially recognized as a Branch Church. It's obviously something I couldn't do on my own. It must be done with only the most committed and dedicated Christian Scientists of the highest morale. (see: Rud 8:7) I'm always open to new ideas, these are just some of the thoughts that have come to me over years of ruminating over the purpose of church, what brings me the most joy, what I feel I can contribute, and what I understand is needed in my community.

4 comments:

  1. Delightful; I'd take trains and buses or try to relocate to be part of that! But the one thing that drives me most is missing. That's the possibility for the congregation to get healed during Sunday worship service. Healings we'd tell our neighbors and co-workers about and report breathlessly at Wednesday testimony meeting so all would know when and where it happened.
    Check out Eddy's book Science and Health page 345 to see "When the omnipotence of God is preached and His absoluteness is set forth, Christiian sermons will heal the sick."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got some great ideas, but to get there, you're going to have to start off small. Why not gather together groups right now to talk about some of these things? I'd definitely sign up for a discussion group to understand the language in S&H better. You must live in an area with a large congregation and lots of practitioners because most places wouldn't have access to a group of practitioners to run a discussion each week, much less lecturers. I think these could be interesting, but also problematic. Wouldn't these people be like leaders with that much responsibility in the church? And who decides if the testimonies are of the highest quality? Something that's great about the Wednesday services now is that ANYONE can participate. I used to sit in the pews and judge the testimonies, but I quit doing that. Now sometimes I'm just grateful that they had the courage and/or willingness to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion is that most and probably all of your ideas could be implemented without violating the Manual in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'standard' (for lack of better term) Christian Science service seems to meet the needs of many Christian Scientists, while this 'standard' service is not necessarily something that draws in people who are investigating CS. I actually believe that the interest in the metaphysical teachings of CS is far greater than the churches current ability to respond to that interest in a way that serves those individuals and helps the church to grow - both in numbers and spiritually. I also believe that the churches are capable of growing in the ways it interacts with potential CS's and the world at large so that the needs of the many, many people who attempt to study and implement metaphysics in their lives without sound instruction can be met.
    Looking at the possibility of two services at churches which want to make changes allows for keeping what works well for many people now, while exploring what other possibilities are that might make CS more accessible to others.
    It has at times been said that it is not our job to make CS appealing to others. That it is the function of the Christ within each individual to prepare them to receive. I couldn't possibly argue with that. And....while honoring that truth it is entirely possible to explore multiple expressions of church. And it is, in fact, important to keep in mind that it, ultimately, is not us, or our efforts, or the configuration of our services and offerings to the public that inspires people to study CS or hearken to Truth. By keeping this in mind we aren't subject to utilizing practices to draw people. But, actually, focus on creating church that expresses the truth of our being.
    This exploration might best be done by those who feel so inspired and not asked of those who don't feel called to that work. Thus, I like the idea of additional services, where that is desired and possible.

    ReplyDelete