Sunday, February 15, 2009

If it's not a bylaw is it "in the Manual"

I’ve been thinking about “the present  order of services” in the Appendix of the Manual. I was  trying to figure out if it’s strictly “in the Manual” if it isn’t a bylaw. So I looked up the definition of  Appendix: Any literary matter added to a book, but not necessarily essential to its completeness, and thus distinguished from supplement, which is intended to supply deficiencies and correct inaccuracies. …Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary 1913
It seems the addition of the "present order of services" is meant to be a helpful informational resource rather than a rule to be followed strictly. While I may not want to change the order, I do like the idea that this is one more aspect of church that can be opened up to meet the needs of the community. I like the idea of using it as a guideline for our order rather than an order for our guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment